Consumers of legal services do not hire generalists. This is as true for those seeking personal legal help as it is for global corporate counsel. Indeed, broad technological and social trends are driving customization of experience into every corner of 21st century life from media to medicine.
So how do you stand out from the crowd of litigation attorneys or transactional attorneys who competing with you for the same work?
And how do you maximize the productivity and profitability of the time you’re spending doing the work for which you’re being paid?
The answer is to develop – or deepen – one to three niche areas for which you become increasingly known and respected.
I’ve helped many attorneys design and execute successful plans to do exactly that. Call, me at 203.806.1300 to learn how.
While the process is not rocket science, it does require a structured approach involving analysis of your (or your firm’s) experience, capability and assets (i.e., your internal profile), combined with research into target market needs/trends and your competition (i.e., your external profile).
Here are some excellent examples of niched firms, big and small, across a wide swath of practice areas.
- Veteran’s Disability Law: https://veteransdisabilityinfo.com/ (SuccessTrackESQ client)
- Water Use Law: https://www.waterlaw.com/
- College Student Defense: https://dcstudentdefense.com/ (SuccessTrackESQ client)
- E-Discovery: https://www.redgravellp.com/
- Chemistry-Focused IP: https://dilworthip.com/ (SuccessTrackESQ client)
- Environmental: https://www.bdlaw.com/
- Family Mediation: https://ctmediationcenter.com/ (SuccessTrackESQ client)
Download my two-part Niche Analysis Tool here to begin the process of analyzing both your internal and external opportunities and challenges.
And here is my CLE presentation Law Niche Success, that I give to Bar Associations including the New York City Bar Association, the New Jersey State Bar Association and the Connecticut Bar Association
The Niche Analysis Tool and the presentation slides benefit from explanation, of course, so call me with any questions and I’ll walk you through them. 203.806.1300.